Hardware Sizing is done in a systematic way in SAP to decide the capacity and speed of the servers and networks. Sizing include different parameters like number of users, frequency of data entering,amount of memory consumption etc. Hardware Sizing is important for budgeting hardware equipment prior to the kick off of the project. There are three methods of sizing.
1), Hardware budget sizing (Smaller Companies)
2), Advanced Sizing(Medium to large companies)
3), Expert Sizing(Complex Projects)
Hardware Sizing for SAP ERP
Budget sizing is done using simple algorithms and assumptions. Throughput estimations and formulas are used for advanced sizing and some custom calculations are using for expert sizing.
A count called SAPS (SAP Application Performance Standard) is used with a tool called ‘Quick Sizer’ to sizing the hardware of a SAP system. SAPS is a hardware independent measurement. SAPS has derived from the Sales and Distribution benchmark where 100 SAPS is defined as 2,000 fully business processed order line items per hour. Find more in the SAP official site.
Its important to discuss with the people who operates with data manually or digitally in the legacy system to get an accurate SAPS count.
After sizing hardware required for your SAP system you can choose your database system and server operating systems. SAP is platform independent
Also See : The Main Components of R/3 Architecture
Recommended Reading For You
- SAP Hardware OverviewThe sap hardware is an essential component of a SAP system.Hardware consists of:Servers (middle tier and database tier computers)
Disk Storage System
Network Gear (routers, […]
- SAP Advanced Planning and Optimization (SAP APO)SAP Advanced Planning and Optimization (SAP APO) is the planning component that, together with SAP Event Management (SAP EM) 4.0 and SAP Inventory Collaboration Hub (SAP ICH) 4.0, makes up […]
- SAP Materials Management – OverviewSAP Materials Management (MM) supports the procurement and inventory functions occurring in day-to-day business operations such as purchasing, inventory management, reorder point […]
- What is SAP NetWeaver?SAP NetWeaver, the next evolution of mySAP Technology integrates information and business processes across technologies and organizations. What's more, SAP NetWeaver embraces Internet […]
- SAP Item Category Determination an OverviewThe item category determination in the sales document depends on the sales document type and the material. An item category group is defined in the material master record. For Example, in […]