Even though the work processes are unique at OS level SAP differentiated between the work process based on the nature of work. The work process are determined by the instance name DVEBMGS<Instance_No>
For Dialogue instances the work process will be denoted as D01, D02….
- D – Dialogue
- V – Update
- E – Enqueue
- B – Back ground
- M – Message
- G – Gateway
- S – Spool
DVEBMGS is only available in the Central instance.
D01 to DN-1 for Dialogue instances.
Central Instance DVEBMGS – 2112111
It hosts all the process and their will be only one central instance in the entire system.
Types of Work Process in SAP
It is only the process which communicates interactively with the users. There should be at least 2 Dialogue work process per instance. Dialogue work process initiates Update, Background and Spool.
It is used to update the transactions in the database. It is initiated by Dialogue process. There should be at least 1 Update in the entire system. It is also recommended to have an update process for every 5 Dialogue. 26
It is used to provide locks for the records that are going to be updated. It ensures consistency for updates. There will be only 1 Enqueue configured in the system during the installation. It is possible to have more than one enqueue provided they are installed or configured on the central instance.
The tasks which are expensive or time consuming are scheduled to run in the background mode non-interactively. There should be at least 2 background work process in the system
There should be only 1 message server in the entire R/3 system. It is used to manage all the dispatchers. It is used to load balance the requests to identify the least loaded dispatcher.
It is also used to provide locks to the request that are coming from Dialogue instances.
It is used to provide a means of communication with SAP and NON-SAP systems. There will be only 1 gateway for each instance.
It is used to print the documents to a printer or output to a fax machine etc. There should be at least 1 Spool process in the entire system. It is also possible to configure more spool process depending on the print/ spool volume.
Dialogue – Interactive – 2 per instance – Initiate update, spool and btc (background)
Update – Non-Interactive – 1 per system – Initiated by dialogue
Enqueue – Provides consistency for updates – 1 per system and can be increased depending upon the update requests but needs to increase only on the Central instance for optimal performance. 27
Background – Non-Interactive – 2 per system – Initiated by dialogue, Time consuming and long running jobs are scheduled to run in the background mode.
Message – Used during load balancing. It also procures lock from enqueue server to serve the requests that is coming from dialogue instances. Only 1 Per system.
Gateway – It provides an interface to communicate between SAP and NON-SAP Systems. 1 Gateway per instance.
Spool – It is only the process that outputs the documents to printers, fax etc. It is initialized by Dialogue and BTC. atleast 1 spool per system.
Also See: How to do Installation of Presentation Server (SAPGUI)?
Recommended Reading For You
- User Types in SAPUser Types in SAP: The SAP system categorizes users into several types for different purposes,
There are 5 different User Types:
- Define System LandscapeThe purpose of this activity is to establish the system landscape. The system landscape consists of the SAP Systems and clients that will enable you to adapt the SAP standard software to […]
- How to Configure Printer in SAP System by using SPAD?Printer in SAP System : We can configure a printer in sap in 2 different manners. Either you use LOCD (device type:SNI9014 for Dot-Matrix) or LOCL (device type:SAPWIN for HP or others) […]
- Changing SAP Password for Database with BRCONNECTChanging SAP Password for Database
To Changing SAP Password for Database Users Using BRCONNECTAs of Release 6.10, you canuse BRCONNECT to change the passwords for the database […]
- What is SAP Backup and Restore Procedure?SAP Backup and Restore: The Sap R/3 Backup consists Database (Differential,Incremental) and Transaction Log (Append, Overwrite)Database BackupDatabase backup is the core of the […]