The transport domain controller contains all SAP systems whose transports are to be administrated jointly. One of these SAP systems is chosen as the transport domain controller. Since all activities relevant to the entire transport domain, such as configuring transport routes or RFC connections, can only be carried out on the domain controller, the SAP system selected to be the domain controller should have:
1), High level of security
2), High level of maintenance
The transport domain controller is normally configured on a production system or a quality assurance system. Out of several reason you may choose to set up an SAP System dedicated to tasks that may be carried out CENTRALLY. This includes the task of the TMS domain controller.
The system load on the SAP system that is chosen as the domain controller is low, and only increases for a short period when the TMS configuration is changed.
Configuring the Transport Domain Controller
To activate the TMS on an SAP system, run transaction STMS in client 000 with user authorization S_CTS_ADMIN.
If the SAP system is already assigned to a transport domain, the TMS initial screen shows the system’s status, either as a domain controller, or as a SAP system within a domain.
If the SAP system is not yet assigned to a transport domain, the system tries to locate an existing transport domain within the current transport group by reading the file DOMAIN. CFG in the directory bin of the common transport directory. If no transport domain exists, a new transport domain is created, and the current SAP system is assigned as the transport domain controller.
When a transport domain controller is first created, the TMS generates:
Also See: Introduction to SAP Data Archiving – Overview
To configure a system as the transport domain controller (and thereby configure a new transport domain):
Step 1: Log on in client 000 using super user or user with Transport Domain Administration authorization in the SAP System that you want to configure as the transport domain controller.
Step 2: Enter Transaction STMS. The dialog box TMS: Configure Transport Domain appears. (This dialog box only appears if you have not yet configured a transport domain.)
Step 3: If you have already configured TMS then goto Utilities –> Delete TMS Configuration
Step 4: Enter the name and a short description of the transport domain.
Step 5: The name of the transport domain may not contain blank characters. You cannot change the name of the transport domain afterwards without re configuring the domain controller and thereby the entire transport domain.
Step 6: If your SAP System consists of multiple application servers, you can choose one server for the TMS.
Step 7: Save your entries. The following actions are performed automatically in your SAP System:
The user TMSADM is created.
The RFC destinations required for the TMS are generated.
The TMS configuration is stored in the transport directory.
The transport profile for the transport control program tp is generated.
The SAP System is configured as a single system.
First system in Transport Domain is always the Transport Domain Controller. However you can still change once you add any more systems. This should be decided based on the availability and security of the system.
Also See: SAP System Monitoring an Overview
Recommended Reading For You
- SAP Transport Management System (STMS) conceptYou can organize, perform, and monitor transports between your SAP Systems using the SAP Transport Management System (STMS). User actions at the operating system level are no longer […]
- What is Client on SAP System?A client is organizational and legal entity in the SAP system. All the business management data is protected here because other clients can not access them. The main objective of the […]
- Define System LandscapeThe purpose of this activity is to establish the system landscape. The system landscape consists of the SAP Systems and clients that will enable you to adapt the SAP standard software to […]
- Remote Function Calls (RFC) in SAPRemote Function Calls RFC: Communication between applications of different systems in the SAP environment includes connections between SAP systems as well as between SAP systems and […]
- High Level & Fundamental understandings of SAP System ArchitectureIt is an undeniable fact that SAP gains more and more customers such as big US and global Corporations and government.SAP’s greatest opportunity probably lies beyond Microsoft or IBM […]